Before we dive into the keys to unlocking better sleep, it is important to know the overlooked causes of insomnia.
The causes of Insomnia will vary from person to person, but by being aware of these harmful habits, you will be well on your way to better sleep.
1. Your sleep schedule is different on the weekend - Staying up late and sleeping in on the weekends confuses your body’s ability to fall asleep. Try sticking to the same sleep schedule each day of the week.
2. No set bedtime - Knowing when you are going to bed helps you spend time winding down before calling it a night.
3. You consume caffeine too late - Avoid drinking caffeine late in the day because it can stay active in the system for up to 8 hours.
4. Your views on insomnia are outdated - Stay informed with new research and join online groups or forums that help fight insomnia.
5. You over stimulate before bed and during the night - The light and information from digital devices before bed or when you can’t sleep activates the mind. Stay away from electronics before falling asleep.
6. You check the time - Worrying about the clock and your remaining hours of sleep produces stress hormones. Position your clock away from view and only check it once your alarm goes off.
7. You are not getting the right amount of sleep - Try experimenting with different durations of sleep ranging from 7-9 hours for adults.
8. You drink alcohol to fall asleep - As a sedative, alcohol may help you relax but it won’t help you have a good night of sleep. Try switching to water a few hours before bedtime.